Saturday, November 15, 2008

on voit partout: d

Yesterday i went to the Capitol, well to one of its buildings. The LHC project director was giving a talk. It was not so bad, the guy had troubles with the remote control. That was funny. What i really liked was the way he pointed out, how amazingly good the people at CERN are in their jobs. CERN is just a great place.

On one of his last slides he had a picture of students in front of one of the exhibition pieces at the CERN site. And i thought: oh, how nice. A picture of the summer students.
And then it hit me. I was on that picture. It was a group photo of the 2003 summer students.
Can you believe it? I was totally excited. After all 2003 was probably the best summer in my life.

Later that day Anton Pelinka was giving also a good talk at the Austrian Embassy. He spoke about the status of US EU relations after Nov 4. I liked his talk, althouhg the questions session was really long. And Prof. Pelinka won’t give you a short answer.

I have already noticed this habit in the states. You can ask any question you like, how silly it may be (yes, i know there are in principal no silly questions. But come here and see. There are silly questions, those were the speaker is so stunned that he or she doesn’t even know what to say.). Last week there was a cocert at the Embassy by an Austrian piano player. And well, she was improvising contemporary music. Since somebody i spend quite a lot of time with is really into that, i know these concerts. And i have to admit at the beginning i didn’t really know what to think of it. And still many pieces i don’t like. It’s a question of getting used to it to being able to experience what it is about, i guess. Anyhow. Most of the people in the audience obviously didn’t come for contemoprary music. And at the end those that remained would ask many, many, many question to poor Elisabeth. I don’t consider this too bad (although some of the questions were silly), since the showed interest in her work. They were after all curioius.

What else happened? I was interviewing the woman I am writing an article about. Lisa Kaltenegger, astrophysicist at Harvard. It was a lot of fun. We were laughing a lot. She is really great. I hope I can come up to her great personality (I really like her) with an appropriatly good article.

On Thursday I went to a talk of the German Historical Institute. It was about the hard times of the Weimarer republic and how scientsit delt with it. I guess, it was a good talk, too. However, I have never been to a talk of a historian before. She had her line of argumentation prepared really well. But then she was reading it of from a piece of paper. She was quite fast and had kind of complicated sentences So it was hard to follow. But this is due to the fact that i am not from the field.

Announcement: next week: red bull party at the embassy. That could potentially be interesting my dearest readers.

1 Comments:

Blogger Kristin said...

Lyn Evans?

and well, obviously he was talking about me and you and some of the people we know ;)

5:56 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home